Tuesday, March 27, 2012

ДЖош = Джордж

The title reads Josh = George.  Here in Russia, I have been called George several times by Russians, and correcting them does not change anything.  It's quite the interesting experience.  Even in Turkey, I had someone think my name was George.  Well anyway, I haven't posted in a long time, so expect two or three posts (including this one) back to back in quick succession.

First off, Russian women are crazy.  The temperature can be in the 10's, and you can still see them wearing dresses.  The first time I saw this I was shocked because I was wearing Under Armour tights and jeans and my legs were still freezing.  Second, they love to wear heels all the time.  It doesn't matter that the sidewalks are covered in ice and snow.  All of the Americans are slipping and sliding wearing regular tennis shoes while the Russian women don't even have the slightest trouble walking.  These are just two things that have stuck out to me and several other people.

Next, I can't remember if I mentioned this already or not, but I stumbled upon an election protest one day.  I was with two of my roommates going down to Nevsky Prospect (pretty much the main place to be).  As soon as we walked out of the metro, there were two rows of people locking arms and chanting.  The only words that I understood as we were quickly rushing away were "We know...."  The thing with Russian protests is that the police lock arms and make a circle and arrest everyone that is in the circle whether you are just an innocent bystander or not.  This protest was only small, but there were about 7 or 8 police vans that they fill with the people they arrest and many police officers.  I can only imagine that that protest was going to get larger.  However, the protests over the election died down quickly after the presidential elections, and they are more or less unheard of now.  It was interesting to witness and I wish I could have stayed longer and watched, but between AIFS' and the U.S. Embassy's warnings, it was probably best to get out of that area as quickly as possible.  Also, Nevsky was rather smokey on that day which is unusual for afternoon, so I can only suspect that flares were being used in the protest.

To rally off of the protest flares, I attended another FC Zenit game a couple of weeks back.  It was getting late in the game and Zenit was down 1-0.  Then Zenit tied it up and someone close to where we were in the stands lit a flare.  The police next to the field started filming to have proof and to help identify the flare lighter ( I can only suspect), but they guy who lit the flare then proceeded to throw it at the police next to the field.  Bad idea...I think so. Within minutes, he got removed from the stands, but that did not stop other people from lighting flares.  Two more were lit before the game ended.  I have no idea how these guys got flares past three pat down searches.
Smoke from a flare!
Since I am currently drawing a blank, I will talk about what Russia is best know for...alcohol.  Before coming here, I remember being told that Russians love to drink, but you don't truly understand that until you actually come here.  It's not just like one drink.  It is several drinks.  It is illegal to drink alcohol openly in public, but that does not stop the Russians, they will put a can in their hat or any other way they can hide it.  Also, sometimes when I am at the store, Russians will just come in and only buy several bottles of alcohol and that is it.  One time when I was at the store, these two Russian guys had a shopping cart and the entire bottom of the cart with filled with bottles of vodka and beer and they were still shopping for more.  My political science/history professor, who is a former member of the Communist Party, told us a story about the time at the end of the Soviet Union when Gorbachev tried to enact prohibition on Russia.  My teacher said that because the lines at the stores were so long because alcohol was only sold at certain times that people would wait in line for hours.  Now to the actual story which goes something like this...these two guys were waiting in line outside of a store and one guy said, "save my spot because I'll be back" and the other guy asked, 'where are you going?'  The first guy said, "I'm going to kill Gorbachev."  When the first guy finally returned, the second guy asked, 'While did you kill Gorbachev'?  The first guy responded with, "No the line to kill him is longer than this line."  Just a fun little story.

On to my Russian movie theater experience.  I went to see a movie called "August 8th" which is about how Georgia attacked the Russian border.  It was a government produced film to show that Russia was only defending itself and not occupying Georgia.  The movie made me hate Georgians after because the main plot is that this family split up and the son is going to stay with the father who is a Russian soldier while the mother goes on a vacation with her new boyfriend (all this is what I got from the movie without understand the dialog, so I could be wrong), but the father gets killed by a Georgian tank while the son watches and then the mother goes into the middle of the war zone to find her son.  It was a pretty good movie.  Now to discuss Russian movie theaters.  When you buy your ticket, you have to pick your seat at the counter.  Then at the snack bar, you can purchase some cigarettes and beer for the movie.  Drinking and smoking are allowed inside the theater which is strange since smoking and public drinking are banned throughout the U.S.    

Also, if anyone has any hopes of going to Moscow, do not drink the tap water even if the internet says it is okay.  I check about five sites and they all said that the water was safe to drink so I took a little sip.  Worst decision of my life.  The next two hours were met with constant stomach pain.  Let this act as a warning to avoid all of the tap water in Russia.

Also, expect posts about my time in Moscow and Istanbul.  A lot happened in Istanbul, so it should be a good one.

13 comments:

  1. Ah this sounds nuts!!! We have had quite a few demonstrations too but they've been localized around the main government building. It crazy that there were protests right off the metro! Do you know if it was a protest about the elections or was it something else?

    This is so cool. More more more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The protest was over the presidential elections. There were several that took place across the city for a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josh,

      First, I'm so excited that we'll get to work together on the EIR Project next year!

      When we were in London last October we were able to see the protests going on. A lot of those were Occupy movements, but some were over votes happening in Parliament. Outside of St. Paul's Cathedral there were so many tents and signs everywhere. Seeing all of the posters was just an unbelievable experience. They held so much emotion and passion. The Occupy protests were very calm and civil. The protests outside of Parliament however had a quite different feel. The energy was overwhelming and there was such urgency. There were many more police officers that could be seen at the Parliament protests compared to outside of St. Paul's.

      Being able to be so close to the protests in London was just an unforgettable experience that impacted me in a way I can't describe. Did you get a similar feeling from seeing these protests first-hand?

      -Dani

      Delete
  3. Hello!

    We still miss you a lot, but it's fantastic to hear about all of your adventures!

    The way you describe the protests sounds intense. It does remind me very much of a "typical" multi-active culture as described by Lewis...extroverted and emotionally confrontational.

    Your comments about women's apparel was also very neat...I can't wait to hear more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh,
    Its great to hear you are having an interesting time in Russia. I was wondering if people still tend to have have similar ideas to those we read about from the 40's-early 90's?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting to read about your experiences in a Russian movie theater! The first time I saw the movie "Transformers" I was in a movie theater in Shanghai and I didn't speak any Mandarin. It was confusing to say the least. It would be interesting to see if you could find a copy of that movie with English subtitles so that you could understand the dialogue. I wonder exactly how the Russian government is portraying the story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George :-)
      I told you the Russians drink like fish. I'm really glad to see that they haven't subjected you to serious alcohol poisoning. Now, I know that you do not drink in the United States, but have you had any experiences where you were forced to drink in order to be culturally sensitive? Also, maybe they drink a lot of vodka because it's safer than drinking water.
      I hope you are having a great time in Russia, it has got to be a crazy/exciting experience.

      Delete
  6. Hey Josh!

    Sounds like you have definitely having an eventful time! I haven't been able to read over all of your earlier posts so I hope you haven't touched on this and I missed it... Anyway, I know that when I went to Nicaragua I learned a lot about the tense relations between the United States and Nicaragua in the past. We asked one of our guides about how the people of Nicaragua felt about Americans today and he was honest and said that some would still hold a grudge in certain parts of the country. I was just wondering if you have been met with any sort of resistance or grudges from people who still hold the ideals of the Cold War close at heart? If not then of course that is great! But if so, how have you dealt with that?

    Hope your remaining time is Russia continues to keep you thoroughly entertained!!

    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha, oh JoshGosh, you WOULD notice all the ladies... just kidding! But wow, I need to have them teach me how to walk in heels on ice. That's a legitimately useful skill.

    I can't believe you are able to get up close and personal to those protestors, or that people were throwing flares at the game. It's crazy to think how different countries react differently to political unrest. In the US's upcoming presidential election, I'm sure a good half of the population will be upset with the results, but I can't imagine people actually taking the initiative to throw flares (though perhaps they should...maybe it would make a bigger statement). That's really interesting.

    And finally, the alcohol and Gorbachev quip is great. I'm definitely going to use that little anecdote! You sound right at home in Russia, George.

    Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Josh,

    It sounds like you've been having a lot of interesting experiences in Russia. I like that a stadium getting set on fire only postpones a match for 20 minutes. You sound like you're getting an overload of politics, language, and cold, but it sounds like you're also enjoying your experiences!

    -Taylor Bugglin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Josh,
    Do you think the cultural acceptance of alcohol in Russia plays a negative role on the culture or has little affect at all? I ask because drinking seems to have such a negative stigma in the U.S but is so accepted in other cultures. Thoughts?
    Jessica Herron

    ReplyDelete
  10. Josh,

    Your experience sounds AWESOME! It is really cool to read about what you have done (and witnessed!) We studied a bit of Russian History in a class I took this semester, and after reading about the protests, I was wondering, how does Russia REALLY feel about Putin? Do they like him? What kind of leader is he (or at least appears to be)? Also, why did those guy want to "kill Gorbachev?" Do they blame him for the fall of the Communist Party and Russia's dominance, or was this some other type of joke? Anyway, hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Josh,

    I really enjoyed your post. I found the quick story about the protest really interesting with regards to the circle of arrests that the police make. This is especially strange to me since obviously nonviolent protests are so common and acceptable in America. It makes me think about how other cultures would handle such an incident. Also, the drinking story was funny and interesting. I always imagined Russians throwing back a couple of bottles of Vodka, but I didn't understand to what extent. With regards to the women of Russia, whether that's a cultural thing or not THAT'S CRAZY! heels and a dress in freezing weather?! I don't know how they do it, I guess some cultures are just built for the cold. I hope all is well with everything else.

    -Drew Parenti

    ReplyDelete